Monday 8 October 2007

My Day at College

Did you all have a nice weekend? Come and tell me about it. I had a fantastic Saturday. I went to college for the day as part of my Open University course. I woke up nervous, but I knew it was going to be an interesting day when three cars pulled into the bus stop I was waiting in and the window of the first car rolled down and three beautiful men in shades – meaning sunglasses, not lampshades, because that would be weird – asked me in unison, ‘Do you want to go paint balling?’ I declined, of course, but beautiful, beautiful men, gah! I was tempted, let me tell you. Anyway, my point is that from that moment, I knew good karma was on my side.

The college was easy to locate, the classroom was easy to find and the people were lovely. I paired up with a lovely lady by the name of Jo. She was 72 and probably had more get-up-and-go than I did as a teenager. She was my grandmother for the day.

I enjoyed all the discussions, and even managed to participate in most of them, which is a miracle considering my tendency to be intimidated by groups of people I don’t know (and some that I do). The writing exercises were fun and enormously helpful and I think I may have written a few things which will sit in my writer’s notebook for a year or so waiting for me to come back to when the urge hits.

It was wonderful to meet my tutor, Clare Best, who we will be working with throughout the year. She’s a writer and a poet and a fantastic teacher. I didn’t want the day to end and wished I could come back for a class everyday.

No comments: